What is a Concussion?
A concussion is a type of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) that changes the way the brain normally works. A concussion is caused by bump, blow or jolt to the head or body that causes the head and brain to move rapidly back and forth. Even a “ding,” “getting your bell rung,” or what seems to be a mild bump or blow to the head can be serious. Concussions affect people differently. While most athletes with a concussion recover quickly and fully, some will have symptoms that last for days or even weeks. A more serious concussion can last for months or longer.
Did You Know?
• Most concussions occur without loss of consciousness.
• Athletes who have, at any point in their lives, had a concussion have an increased risk for another concussion.
• Young children and teens are more likely to get a concussion and take longer to recover than adults.
The topic of “Concussion” is now a primary focus in sports at all levels: youth, college and professional. You may be surprised to know that there is even an Arizona law regarding concussions and youth sports: ARS 15-341 (24 b). The Arizona Youth Soccer Association (AYSA) has a AYSA Head Injury / Concussion Policy that every player, parent and coach signs at the beginning of every season in order to obtain an AYSA (US Youth Soccer) Pass. The AYSA Head Injury / Concussion Policy / AYSA Concussion Form closely mirror the Arizona law pertaining to concussions. Additionally, the Banner Concussion Center works closely with our Scottsdale Soccer Concussion Program, is a sponsor of the AYSA Academy Program and provides education and treatment options for our players and staff.
Scottsdale Soccer is invested in the safety, well-being and education of all of our members (players, parents and coaches). We find that our members may be unaware of the dangers of concussions, the current policies regarding concussions, how to handle concussions when they occur and the requirements / strategies for an athlete’s “Return to Play.” With that in mind, Scottsdale Soccer has developed this Concussion Program that services the Blackhawks Competitive Program with:
1. ImPACT Baseline Testing opportunities for our U11 - U19 players and an Advanced Baseline Testing opportunity for our U7 - U19 players.
2. The Play It Safe Concussion Care Supplemental Insurance Policy for all Blackhawks players. Scottsdale Soccer is the first youth sports club in Arizona and the first soccer club in the United States to offer this to its members.
3. A consistant medical progression and documentation process with a mandatory "Return to Play" Progression.
4. Mandatory completion of an online education course each season for all Coaches and Team Managers.
5. Educational and informational links and articles.