I am a Freshman in High School, is it too early to start the college search process?


It is never too early to start the college search process.  There are thousands of programs available so the sooner you can begin your research process the better.


Will college coaches be able to contact me before my Junior Year?

Yes, certain schools will be able to contact you. Each governing body (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA) has different rules and regulations in regards to the recruiting process.  Refer to your recruiting chart in your college guide for specifics.


There are so many schools, where do I start?


Organize a list of schools by certain criteria that will be important to your individual situation.  A general guide is:  Size, Location, Cost, Academics and Level of Play.  Put schools into groups of 25.


How many schools should I contact?


Contact as many schools as possible that fit within your criteria.  Every college coach will be different in regards to their specific needs at that moment.  Just because you want to attend that school does not mean that the college coach will be interested in you as a player, so have as many options as possible.


Do I need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?


Yes, every High School Senior should begin filling out the FAFSA starting October 1st of his or her Senior Year.


When do I need to start filling out applications?


The application process will begin the summer prior to or the fall of your High School Senior Year.


Do I need to take the SAT and the ACT?


Yes, take both.  There are some schools that will only accept the SAT some that will only accept the ACT and some schools that will accept both.


What type of GPA do I need to maintain?

Your goal should be a 3.5 or higher overall GPA.  The higher the GPA the more opportunities you will have to earn academic money as well as more opportunities for general admittance to schools.


What is the NCAA and NAIA eligibility center and when do I do this?

The NCAA and NAIA eligibility centers were established to verify academic eligibility.  If you wish to participate in NCAA Division I or II athletics or NAIA athletics you need to be certified by the NCAA Eligibility Center and / or the NAIA Eligibility Center.  You can register for the NCAA Eligibility starting in your Sophomore year in High School.  You can register for the NAIA Eligibility Center once your Junior year in High School is completed.  Both eligibility centers will need copies of your SAT / ACT test scores and academic transcripts.


This process is very confusing, whom should I contact for help?

Contact your Phoenix Rising FC Youth Soccer College Advisory Program Director, Tibor Pelle, at Tiborp@prfcyouthsoccer.com.